Hospitals in Iowa and South Dakota have failed to rank among the safest in America.
The new Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade rankings show that hospitals in Hawkeye and Mount Rushmore states are among the top 10 safest in the country.
Iowa hospitals are third on the list, and South Dakota hospitals are sixth.
STATES WITH THE MOST UNSAFE HOSPITALS
- North Dakota
- West Virginia
- South Dakota
- New Mexico
The certificate evaluates hospitals against 30 different performance metrics from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, such as: B. the rates of avoidable medical errors, accidents, injuries and infections.
In Iowa, only one hospital (3.1% of all hospitals in the state) received an “A,” while four others received a “B.”
IOWA HOSPITAL STEPS
- Lakes Regional Healthcare, Spirit Lake – A
- Genesis Medical Center, Davenport-B
- MercyOne Medical Center (North Campus), Clinton – B
- Spencer Hospital, Spencer B
- St Anthony Regional Hospital – Carroll – B
In South Dakota, only one hospital (10% of all hospitals in the state) received an “A,” while four others received a “B.”
SOUTH DAKOTA HOSPITAL LEVELS
- Sanford USD Medical Center, Sioux Falls – A
- Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center, Sioux Falls – B
- Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, Yankton-B
- Avera St Luke’s Hospital, Aberdeen – B
- Monument Health Hospital, Spearfish-B
STATES WITH THE SAFEST HOSPITALS
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- North Carolina
Minnesota hospitals ranked 18th safest in America.
Fourteen hospitals (32.6% of all hospitals in the country) received an “A” rating, while another eight received a “B” rating.
MINNESOTA HOSPITAL STEPS
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis – A
- Buffalo Hospital, Buffalo – A
- Hutchinson Health Hospital, Hutchinson-A
- Lake Region Healthcare, Fergus Falls – A
- Lakeview Hospital, Stillwater – A
- M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital, Edina – A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Austin – A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Fairmont – A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Mankato – A
- Mayo Clinic Health System, Red Wing – A
- Mayo Clinic Hospital, Rochester – A
- Methodist Hospital, St. Louis Park – A
- Olmsted Medical Center, Rochester-A
- Owatonna Hospital, Owatonna – A
- M Health Fairview Northland Medical Center, Princeton – B
- M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital, Burnsville – B
- M Health Fairview St. John’s Hospital, Maplewood – B
- M Health Fairview St Joseph’s Hospital, St Paul – B
- M Health Fairview Woodwinds Hospital, Woodbury – B
- Northfield Hospital, Northfield – B
- Regions Hospital, St Paul – B
- Sanford Medical Center, Bemidji-B
Across the country, only 30% of hospitals received an “A”, 28% a “B”, 36% a “C”, 6% a “D” and 1% an “F”.