KU Athletics PublicationNovember 18, 2022
Game Notes | Live Stats
LAWRENCE, Kan. – The 17-9 (7-7 Big 12) Kansas Jayhawks will host Iowa State for their Senior Day Saturday (Nov. 19) at 11 a.m. CT in front of a packed Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena, marking the Jayhawks’ fifth straight sellout.
Before the game, Kansas will recognize six seniors who contributed to the volleyball program, Anezka Szabo, Gracie Van Driel, Lauren Dooley, Rachel Langs, Kennedy Farris and Riley Foltz. The game will not be streamed or televised.
- Ray Bechard is in his 25th season as head coach of the Jayhawks and has a career record of 26-23 against the Iowa State Cyclones. Bechard and the Jayhawks lost 3-1 to Iowa State on Oct. 7 at the Hilton Coliseum.
- Bechard ranks second all-time in Big 12 Conference wins after the Jayhawks defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers on Nov. 12 at the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena. Bechard currently has 208 Big 12 conference wins. Only Jerritt Elliot (334) has more wins in Big 12 conference matches.
- On November 5, super senior Rachel Langs recorded her 500th career block against Baylor No. 11 in Waco, Texas. During the game, Langs has totaled five blocks and currently has 506 blocks in her career.
- Kansas leads the Big 12 Conference in blocks averaging 2.60 blocks per set, with transfer graduate Lauren Dooley leading KU at 1.13 blocks per set. The Jayhawks are third in the conference on opponent’s batting average with a .184.
- Kansas is ahead of Iowa State at 12.71-12.70 kills per set.
- KU leads the Cyclones in the excavations per set, 13.80-13.68.
- In blocks per set, the Jayhawks top ISU, 2.60-2.45.
- Kansas leads in points per set with 16.55 ahead of Iowa State with 16.54.
- The Jayhawks have played 111 sets in 96 games compared to the Cyclones.
The Jayhawks and Cyclones last met on October 7, where Iowa State won 3-1 in Ames, Iowa. Sophomore Camryn Turner had a strong match in the four-setter, recording a double-double with 31 assists and 18 digs. Super senior Rachel Langs and newcomer Rhian Swanson each had three blocks in the match. Sophomore Caroline Bien had a historic match when she scored her 500th career kill. The showdown included eight draws and five lead changes.
- Sophomore Camryn Turner has 14 double-doubles in 26 games. Turner had double-doubles against LMU (8/27), Army (9/2), UConn (9/3), Kansas City (9/7), Lipscomb (9/15), Omaha (9/17), Kansas State (9/24, 11/2), Baylor (10/1, 11/5), Iowa State (10/7), TCU (10/12), West Virginia (10/19, 11/12). Most recently, Turner racked up 24 assists and 11 away tackles against West Virginia on Nov. 12.
- Redshirt freshman Ayah Elnady leads the Jayhawks with 264 kills while sophomore Caroline Bien is second with 249. Super senior Anezka Szabo has recorded 179 kills for Kansas.
- Elnady currently has 34 service aces in the season with a school-record seven aces in a five-set match against Texas Tech on Oct. 15.
- Graduate transfer Lauren Dooley has 68 blocks on the season.
- Kennedy Farris has recorded 288 digs in the 96 sets Kansas played this season.
Kansas will wrap up the regular season on Friday (Nov. 25) in Lubbock, Texas when the Jayhawks take on Texas Tech. The first serve will take place at 6:00 p.m. CT and will air on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
Copyright © Meridian Media, 2022. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced without the express permission of Meridian Media.